How to label scatterplot points by name?
add data labels to scatter plot excel 2007
excel scatter plot axis labels
attach labels to points macro
custom data labels excel 2010 scatter plot
scatter plot with labels python
how to mark a point on a graph in excel
value from cells data label missing
I am trying to figure out how to get labels to show on either Google sheets, Excel, or Numbers.
I have information that looks like this
name|x_val|y_val ---------------- a | 1| 1 b | 2| 4 c | 1| 2
Then I would want my final graph to look like this.
4| .(c) 3| 2| .(b) 1| .(a) |__ __ __ __ 0 1 2 3 4
Like why can't I label each of these points with its name? I can only seem to label the value, e.g,
(c) would show
Is the only solution D3?
Well I did not think this was possible until I went and checked. In some previous version of Excel I could not do this. I am currently using Excel 2013.
This is what you want to do in a scatter plot:
right click on your data point
select "Format Data Labels" (note you may have to add data labels first)
- put a check mark in "Values from Cells"
- click on "select range" and select your range of labels you want on the points
UPDATE: Colouring Individual Labels
In order to colour the labels individually use the following steps:
- select a label. When you first select, all labels for the series should get a box around them like the graph above.
- Select the individual label you are interested in editing. Only the label you have selected should have a box around it like the graph below.
- On the right hand side, as shown below, Select "TEXT OPTIONS".
- Expand the "TEXT FILL" category if required.
- Second from the bottom of the category list is "COLOR", select the colour you want from the pallet.
If you have the entire series selected instead of the individual label, text formatting changes should apply to all labels instead of just one.
Improve your X Y Scatter Chart with custom data labels, As of Numbers 3.6 on OS X 10.11, this is not currently possible. A few alternatives: Manually add text above each individual point, though obviously a huge with (LifeCycleSavings [1:9,], text (sr~dpi, labels = row.names (LifeCycleSavings [1:9,]), pos = 4)) The value for the “labels” option looks complicated, but it’s just a vector of strings that I abstracted from the first 9 rows of the names of the “LifeCycleSavings data frame using row.names (), which is a very useful function!
None of these worked for me. I'm on a mac using Microsoft 360. I found this which DID work: This workaround is for Excel 2010 and 2007, it is best for a small number of chart data points.
Click twice on a label to select it. Click in formula bar. Type = Use your mouse to click on a cell that contains the value you want to use. The formula bar changes to perhaps =Sheet1!$D$3
Repeat step 1 to 5 with remaining data labels.
Create an X Y Scatter Chart with Data Labels, Adding text labels to the points of scatter plot. After you've added the data to Chart Studio, head to 'Traces' under 'Style' menu in the left-hand side of Chart To display both x and y values, right-click the label, click Format Data Labels…, select the X Value and Y value boxes, and set the Separator of your choosing: Label the data point by name In addition to or instead of the x and y values, you can show the month name on the label.
For all those who don't have the option in Excel (like me), there is a macro which works and is explained here: https://www.get-digital-help.com/2015/08/03/custom-data-labels-in-x-y-scatter-chart/ Very useful
How to find, highlight and label a data point in Excel scatter plot, I have two columns of data that I'm creating a scatter plot with. I then want to use a third column to label my points. and in the context menu that pops up select 'Value from cells' and select the column of names and click OK. Scatterplot with marker labels Commands to reproduce: PDF doc entries: [G-2] graph twoway scatter. Main page. Next group. Scatter and line plots : Stata.
Another convoluted answer which should technically work and is ok for a small number of data points is to plot all your data points as 1 series in order to get your connecting line. Then plot each point as its own series. Then format data labels to display series name for each of the individual data points.
In short it works ok for a small data set or just key points from a data set.
Add Custom Labels to x-y Scatter plot in Excel, You can use these codes to add a label to the points in a scatterplot. The codes are based on a creative use of the 'text' function. The lables are The labels and values must be laid out in exactly the format described in this article. (The upper-left cell does not have to be cell A1.) To attach text labels to data points in an xy (scatter) chart, follow these steps: On the worksheet that contains the sample data, select the cell range B1:C6.
How I label scatter plot points in Numbers?, names(), which is a very useful function! The “pos” option specifies the position of the text relative to the point. I have chosen to use “4” because I Is there any way to only label points above a certain value, for example PTS greater than 24 on the above plot? – ONeillMB1 Mar 23 '15 at 20:41 short of properly 'dodging', consider this hjust = -0.1 to get the printed labels ever so slightly away from the data point.
Label Points with Text in a Scatter Plot, You can place arbitrary text on the image using plt.annotate(label, xy = (x, y), xytext = (0, 0), textcoords = 'offset points'). Notice xytext = (0, 0) means no offset, and omitting arrowprops causes plt.annotate to not draw an arrow. – unutbu Feb 29 '12 at 18:30
Creating Scatter Plot with Marker Labels, Thank you for your Excel 2010 workaround for custom data labels in XY scatter charts. It basically works for me until I insert a new row in the worksheet associated with the chart. Doing so breaks the absolute references to data labels after the inserted row and Excel won't let me change the data labels to relative references.
- is this a scatter plot?
- You mentioned D3, how about R? See this example.
- Is this question better suited for Superuser?
- I just got IT to give me Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac, but unfortunately Excel for Mac does not have this feature :(. Thanks though
- This is excellent. All official documentation I can find from Microsoft explains how to do this with clumsy macros. This is the perfect solution.
- I use excel 365 (build 1805) on windows and I don't have the option "value from cells" :( any other way?
- @SiMon Not that I am aware of. If you have a small data set you may have the option in the other answer available to you.
- How can you make each of label a different color here ?
- Thanks. I'm using Excel 2016 on a PC but this helped me figure out how to label one point (by double clicking to select it, then right clicking) rather than all points as in the top answer.