Turn off sound in iPhone Simulator
ios simulator bluetooth headphones
airpods pro simulator
ios simulator audio output
Is there an option to turn off the sound on the iPhone Simulator? Or to adjust the volume?
Partial Success - There are no good options
The iPhone Simulator selects the currently selected output at launch. Using Soundflower plugin and sending the audio to nowhere I started the iPhone Simulator. If you then switch to a different, working, output the simulator will remain 'muted' until you restart the simulator. So in general, you can attempt to trick the simulator to output to a dead end output.
Experimental setup - A sample video player
I'm working on a solution to this problem and as a first step created a demonstration video player app. You can download VideoPlayer from GitHub for your own experiments.
First Attempt - Use a 3rd party app to mute it
Tried using Audio Hijack Pro by Rogue Amoeba to hijack the audio stream and mute it. This didn't work and crashes the simulator. Contacted support and they reported that iPhone Simulator does some things that prevent them from hijacking the audio. I also looked into Soundflower and Jack.
Second Attempt - In-app mute
I was thinking maybe you could make a debug option where when in the app and on the simulator sound would be muted. However, within an app, only private APIs have the power to mute or reduce volume for the device. In the book iPhone Open Application Development Chapter 6, Example "What's My Volume' gives sample code for manipulating system-wide sound through the AVSystemController. It might be fun to explore this route, but to make it into a weaponized tool would require a lot of trouble since you need to compile against private headers.
Find a command-line option to pass to the Springboard or iPhone Simulator that will mute sound, or re-enable the volume control within the simulator, and of course be able to still launch the debugger.
I filed an Apple Bug Report enhancement request for both iPhone Simulator volume control, request 13428429, and per application volume control in Mac OS X, request 13428420. If you want these features, please file your own bug.
Turn off sound in iPhone Simulator, Second Attempt – In-app mute. I was thinking maybe you could make a debug option where when in the app and on the simulator sound would This game is soo loud I can't even hear my friends in discord. There is no settings to turn off the sound. Please help.
AirPods interference by Simulator playing sounds |Apple Developer , But, I did turn off Bluetooth on my iPhone to remove as much I quit the iOS simulator, sound output returned to its original pristine quality. From the Home screen, navigate: Settings > Cellular. Tap the Cellular Data switch to turn on . Tap Cellular Data Options. Tap Enable LTE. Tap Voice & Data to turn on. Turned on when a checkmark is present. To turn HD Voice off, tap 'Data Only' or 'Off'.
Open iOS Simulator, press Hardware > Decrease Volume (⌘↓) until it's muted! I think it was added at Xcode 9.2, and that it's available only when running sim with iOS 11 and above
iOS simulator no sound, I am facing the same issue on my Mac Mini which i bought recently. On old macbook purchased in 2013 sounds are working fine in simulator. 1. Turn Off All Sounds in Messages. Because the iPhone does not distinguish between outgoing sounds and incoming message sounds, we have to first disable all sounds associated with Messages. 1. Open “Sounds & Haptics” in the Settings app. 2. Tap “Text Tone” to open the interface for changing the messaging sounds.
You can use something like...
#if DEBUG [ myAudioController setVolume: .1 ]; #endif
This way during testing, the app will have a lower volume.
Disable sound – Peak, If you want to turn off interface sounds as well, just go to the 'Me' tab (then tap on View and edit profile for iOS) and scroll down to find the option to The iPhone Simulator selects the currently selected output at launch. Using Soundflower plugin and sending the audio to nowhere I started the iPhone Simulator. If you then switch to a different, working, output the simulator will remain 'muted' until you restart the simulator.
1) Download the Loopback app
2) In Loopback, create a new virtual audio device (click
New virtual device). Rename it if you want (I named it
3) In Simulator, click
Hardware > Audio output and choose the name of the virtual audio device that you just created.
iOS Simulator Sound, More often than not, the simulator's audio is played on the headset instead of my main speakers. Is there an option to turn off sound, in iPhone Simulator? I know you said you checked, but because the UI in settings-sound --> Windows sound devices is not good at all, check again. One day my sound settings changed (don't know why or how, maybe bug) and I had to configure the sound settings again. I noticed that it is really easy to miss the sound device you want.
Scott Meinzer on Twitter: "The iOS simulator needs a mute function , @scottmeinzer 3 years later, iOS simulator still has no mute And your tweet is 4th google result when you search mute ios simulator. 2 replies
Can the iPhone Simulator play sounds? : swift, An introduction to Git will be taking place live on the oneleif YouTube channel in just a moment! We are a nonprofit and just want to help people learn with a
How can I turn off push notifications for individual apps in iOS 5 , sending them entirely). As a user, there is not way to "stop" them, just hide them from within iOS. It doesn't turn off alerts, badges, sounds or the lock screen.
- Added a bounty - I personally do not care if getting such thing to work would actually mean hacking the simulator itself. The awarded answer needs to effectively silence
- I did try "Hear" as that one seemed to be a promising solution for adjusting the volume of individual applications run on OSX but unfortunately it does not detect/support the simulator.
- I did also try "Soundbunny" and even though it does display a slider for the iOS Simulator, it unfortunately does not control its volume at all.
- I've found this link below, maybe this will help you. stackoverflow.com/questions/5867341/…
- @Mike unfortunately that does not help as is wont change any results on the simulator.
- Idea Three is what I also tried to find - checked all available Info.plist's within the simulator folder-tree for suspicious entries but by default it does not seem to contain such option. I was also hoping that similar to the infamous "giraffe" setting, there would be another undocumented setting for sound. To get deeper into that, one would have to have a close look at the simulator binaries (hex, disassembler, ...) but that I did not do yet.
- I did the same. I think you are looking at binary hacking if your are focusing on the simulator side. A more promising approach would be to figure out how it is connecting the the sound system and mute that.
- Did you get closer to our goal? Just asking cause the bounty will expire in three days and I would love to assign it to you if you had some progress to show... :D
- I found a workaround. I'm still looking into other possibilities.
- Awesome Cameron! ... award well deserved.
- This unfortunately won't mute keyboard sounds (and there's also no option to turn them off in the settings).